Sunday, March 27, 2011

March Showers Bring Fabric Flowers

When I wrote about the bridesmaid's attire I talked about wanting to add something to the dresses to jazz them up and make them unique.  The solution is... fabric flowers!!!  I have been kind of really obsessed with fabric flowers that I have seen in a lot of wedding blogs, and I knew that I could recreate the look for my own girls.  I went out yesterday with the goal in my head to find a light, airy fabric that was inexpensive and could be used to make a great accent flower for the girl's dresses.

My search lead me to Wal-Mart (I was surprised too) and I was able to get a bolt of fabric for $5!!!  I added on $1.27 worth of gold tulle and set to work.



I picked up the idea for the flower type that I made from the blog Maize Hutton.  First I cut strips of the gray fabric 1 and 2 inches wide and the length of the bolt of fabric.  I took thread in a similar color and made simple stiches along one side of the strip.



After stitching along one side, I pulled the thread so that the one side is bunched up.  I made a circle out of the fabric and tacked the pieces together with a few stitches to make the flower shape.



The next step was to add the gold tulle.  I cut two circles (imperfect circles) of the tulle and tacked it to the back of the gray flower with a few stitches.



I am really excited about the final product!!!  I am going to clump the flowers in a group of three at the waist with a large one in the center and a smaller one on each side.  


I am also going to make a headband for my flower girl with matching fabric flowers.  She will be so excited!  If you want to experiment making fabric flowers to add to tank tops, purses, dresses, etc. here are a few more sites that I found with really good tutorials:
Happy flower making!

1 comment:

Followers