Monday, November 28, 2011

Deck the Halls

Hello All!  What a wonderful holiday weekend with family :)  Splitting time between the families was an interesting experience to work through, but I'm hoping that Thanksgiving helped us to see what works (and doesn't work) for the holidays so that we are better prepared for Christmas and are able to spend quality time with both of our families :)

As much as I love Thanksgiving, I ADORE Christmas!  This time of year is so special and hopeful, and I am really excited for our first Christmas as a married couple :)  One aspect of the holiday that I was really excited for was decorating our house, and after emerging from my turkey coma I set to work making a beautiful tree skirt for our tree.  I used these examples from Pinterest as inspiration:

Pinned Image
DIY Tree Skirt

Pinned Image
DIY No Sew Tree Skirt


I took tips from both ideas and forged ahead making my own.  I used about four yards of fabric total that was divided into five different kinds of fabric.


Here is the fabric breakdown:

*Largest Ring - 1 1/2 yards
*Second Ring - 1 yard
*Third Ring - 3/4 yard
*Fourth Ring - 1/2 yard
*Fifth/ Sixth Ring - 1/2 yard

I used a cheap $1 44" felt tree skirt from the dollar store and set to work.  I started by cutting the fabric into 4" wide strips (this takes a while so recruiting help is always good).


Once the strips were cut I loosely sewed one side and scrunched the fabric to create a pretty wave effect. When all of the strips had been sewn I began applying them to the felt tree skirt.  I measured three inches in from the edge of the tree skirt to mark the first place to attach the fabric strips.  I chose three inches because I wanted the fabric to hang off the edge of the felt tree skirt an inch.


I chose to go the no sew route of attaching the fabric strips and hot glued them to the existing tree skirt.  If you are handier with a sewing machine you could also attach the strips that way :)

When I got to the center of the skirt I chose to do two layers of the same fabric although you could choose one more fabric option.


I am THRILLED with how the skirt turned out and total my project came to around $23!  Cheaper and prettier (in my opinion) than any that I have seen at the stores this season :)

When we got home we went right to work setting up and decorating our tree so we put our tree skirt around the tree!




Here is the final product:



I am looking forward to a wonderful holiday season!

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing, I think I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Followers