Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pumpkin Lanterns

I wanted to make hanging lanterns for our big tree in the backyard, and originally I thought of using mason jars.  The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that I wanted to make the lanterns be jack o lanterns that were hanging in the trees to be a festive addition to the party.  Because I knew I would be painting the jars, I was a little hesitant to use any of the nice Kerr and Ball mason jars that we had from the wedding (besides most of them are getting used for another project...).  Then I realized how many glass jars I had been saving to use in my craft room as storage for craft supplies, and knew that they could be put to perfect use for our Halloween party.

The project supply list is short and sweet:
-Glass jars (I used empty salsa, spaghetti sauce, and pickle jars)
-Orange acrylic paint
-Black permanent marker
-Wire if you want to hang them

Start by peeling off all of the jar labels and giving them a good clean.


























Apply paint to the inside of the jar around the top.


























Use a paint brush to spread the paint around the inside of the jar.  I tried using a brush full of paint and then painting the jar, but found the method of applying paint first to be easier.  I also found that tipping the jar upside down helped to reach the hard to get spots on right below the top of the jar.


The nice part of painting the inside is that there is no wait time between painting and drawing on the face ;)  Use a permanent marker and create spooky, scary, or happy faces for your pumpkin lanterns.  And if you run out of ideas search the internet for Jack o Lanterns and get inspiration from the faces others have cut out!


Here is my crew of pumpkin lanterns.  I love that there are different shapes and sizes and the unique look each has from the way the paint dried, the amount of paint used, and the different  faces they all have :)  I am really excited to see them lit up for the party of Friday!


Are you up to any fun holiday crafts right now?

2 comments:

  1. Awww <3 I loved the idea that how simply you can prepare the pumpkins for halloween without messing up.
    http://najsultan.blogspot.com
    Visit my blog too if you have time. Thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Najia! I like crafts that anyone can do :) I will definitely stop by and say hi on your blog!

      Delete

Followers